Thursday, June 23, 2011

Something from Nothing


This. Is a good book.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the story before, and I don't think it was from this book. I have a feeling it's one of those folktales that's been done several times (kinda like The Mitten), but the reason that these folktales are re-told so often is that they're good.

Anyway, maybe you've heard this one, too. Baby Joseph's grandfather makes him a beautiful baby blanket. Joseph loves the blanket, and it starts to get worn out. So he takes it back to his grandfather, and Grandfather makes it into a beautiful jacket. Joseph loves the jacket, and it starts to get worn out. So he takes it back to his grandfather, and Grandfather makes it into a beautiful vest. And so on.

There are two things that I really like about this book. One, the text repeats itself over and over--kinda like I did in the last paragraph. (See what I did there?) That's great for kids, especially pre-readers. Two, the illustrations are gorgeous. And the illustrations tell a second little story along the bottom edge of the pages. So there's something for the kids to look at every time you read the story.

Something from Nothing
Written and illustrated by Phoebe Gilman
Age range*: 3-7
My rating: 5 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...