Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Read this book. Seriously.

I first saw it, and loved it, as a short film (that went on to win an Academy Award!) when it made the rounds on Facebook several months ago. It looks like the short is available on iTunes now; there's also an app to go along with it. You may be able to find the short on YouTube somewhere.

Anyway, the picture-book version finally came out in August, and it's just as gorgeous as the short. It's a story about the importance of books and words--Morris' life is full and joyful with them, but gray and dreary without them. Unfortunately, I don't think I can do the story line better justice than that, so you'll have to go out and find a copy of the book yourself to really understand how powerful it is.

Oh, and I think The Boy liked it, too.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Written and illustrated by William Joyce
Age range*: 5-8
My rating: 5 stars [out of five] 

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--I usually just get them at the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...