Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How I Became a Pirate



Aargh!

This is the cute story of a little boy who's invited to join a pirate crew [just for a day or so]. Jeremy quickly finds out that some parts of pirate life are AWESOME, and other parts...not so much. But that's okay. When Captain Braid Beard tells the crew that they need a place to bury their treasure, Jeremy offers his backyard. The pirates bury their treasure and sail off, just in time for Jeremy to get to soccer practice.

Like I said, it's a cute story. If you're looking for a book that will teach your kids manners, this isn't it. But if you're looking for a story that's a plain ol' fun read, this is perfect.

Oh, and the illustrations? Hilarious, and very detailed.

Here's my favorite part of the story: "The pirates taught me to sing sea chanteys--the louder, the better. And to say real pirate stuff like "landlubber" and "scurvy dog." By dinnertime, I could speak pirate perfectly."

How I Became a Pirate
Written by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon
Age range*: 5-8
My rating: 4 stars [out of five], ye scurvy dogs!

*Age ranges are very flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...