Thursday, April 7, 2011

Animals, Animals


When we brought this home from the library, I flipped through it and thought, "Huh. This looks long. Probably won't read all of it." Yeah, sometimes I'm lazy like that.

When I actually picked it up to read it to Little Boy, I discovered that it isn't actually a story. It's a...compilation, I guess? Each page has an illustration of a different animal (by Eric Carle, which means that every illustration is fantastic). And each illustration is accompanied by a little poem, or saying, or haiku about that animal. The little sayings were compiled from all kinds of sources--for example, some of them are from well-known writers (think Emily Dickinson) and some of them are Native American sayings. And everything in between.

I gave this book a HUGE age range for a reason. I think that most kids will enjoy the illustrations. Some of the written parts will entertain younger kids, and some of the written parts are more complex and better understood by older kids.

In other words, it's a book that can grow with your family. I'd love to have this one on our bookshelves at home.

Animals, Animals
Illustrated by Eric Carle
Age range*: 2-8
My rating: 5 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...