Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything



Last year, I only posted one Halloween book. I'm going to do better this year! We're checking out tons of Halloween stories from the library.

The book I posted last Halloween, Ghosts in the House, is my current favorite Halloween story. We'll see if I find a new favorite this year or not. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything is Little Boy's favorite. His favorites change pretty much every day, though.

There are two great things about this book:

1) It's Halloween-y, but not too scary. The little old lady is walking in the woods when she hears strange sounds following her. First, she hears two shoes behind her going CLOMP, CLOMP. Then she hears pants, a shirt, gloves, a hat, and finally a pumpkin head. Spooky, but not blood-dripping scary.

2) It's a "predictable story." That means it builds on itself. So, for example, first she hears the shoes going CLOMP, CLOMP. Then she hears two shoes going CLOMP, CLOMP and a pair of pants going WIGGLE, WIGGLE. Then she hears the shoes, pants, and the shirt. And so on. Kids love this kind of thing--they like to memorize it as the story goes along. Also, it's great for pre-readers.

I won't ruin the ending for you, but I will say that it ends in a very happy way. That little old lady is pretty cool.

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
Written by Linda Williams and illustrated by Megan Lloyd
Age range*: 2-6
My rating: 4 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...