Saturday, October 20, 2012

Creepy Carrots!

This story isn't about Halloween, but the "creepy" factor makes it a good Halloween read anyway.

Creepy Carrots is about a young rabbit, Jasper, who loves to eat carrots out of Crackenhopper Field. He nabs some every time he walks by. Until one day [said in my best creepy-movie-narrator voice]...something changed. Jasper's sure that carrots are following him. But every time he turns around and looks, there aren't aren't really carrots there. Or are there...?

I won't give away the ending, of course. The Boy and I both liked this book. The illustrations don't get any creepier than what you see on the front cover, and the black/white/orange color scheme gives a nice creepy feel to the story [That's the last time I'll use the word "creepy." I promise.] Plus, again, it's nice to read something different from the usual Halloween stories, fun as those may be. The youngest kids might not follow the story very well, so I'd read this one to kids that are a bit older and can appreciate the atmosphere of the story. 

Creepy Carrots!
Written by Aaron Reynolds and illustrated by Peter Brown
Age range*: 5-7
My rating: 3 stars [out of five] 

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--I usually just get them at the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...