Monday, October 29, 2012

Goodnight Goon

You've heard of Goodnight Moon, right? It's always been one of The Boy's favorite books. We've read it hundreds of times.

Well, as you can imagine, Goodnight Goon is a parody of Goodnight Moon. It begins, "In the cold gray tomb / There was a gravestone / And a black lagoon /  And a picture of / Martians taking over the Moon." The story goes on, perfectly mimicking the rhyme scheme and rhythm of its predecessor. And it's perfect for Halloween.

The Boy loves it. I don't love-love it, but I do think it's pretty clever. The illustrations are along the lines of the front cover--if you think your child would be scared or grossed out by the cover, they probably won't enjoy the book. But I think most kids would get a kick out of it, especially boys who like slimy things and fans of Goodnight Moon.

Goodnight Goon
Written and illustrated by Michael Rex
Age range*: 3-6
My rating: 4 stars [out of five] 

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--I usually just get them at the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...