Friday, April 22, 2011

My Easter Basket: And the True Story of Easter


Our local library doesn't have this one. I think we got it Walmart a couple years ago.

Here's why I like it: It combines Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies with the religious side of Easter.

Here's the real reason why I like it: It's sparkly.

Anyway, the book isn't really a story, exactly. It's an explanation of what the different colors in the Easter basket represent in the biblical Easter story. For example, "The green inside my basket is like the palms that lay upon the ground for Jesus for his parade one day." The explanations are super simple, which makes some of them sound kind of funny, but also makes them good for little ones.

Also, I'm pretty sure the author made all the explanations up, but it's a nice thought, right?

Depending on your Christian denomination, this book may or may not quite jibe with what you believe. For example, I don't celebrate Palm Sunday, so I had to explain the palm page to Little Boy. But I still feel like it's a good way to show Little Boy that Easter can be both fun and meaningful.

My Easter Basket: And the True Story of Easter
Written by Mary Manz Simon
Age range*: 2-5
My rating: 4 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...