Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pigs Make Me Sneeze!


So, Mo Willems. He's pretty famous. He wrote the Knuffle Bunny books and the Pigeon books (Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, etc), and he's written lots more. Oh, and this Elephant and Piggie series.

We haven't gotten into the other Mo Willems series (serieses?)--although we've liked some of his other not-series books--and I'd heard of the Elephant and Piggie series but hadn't tried it until now.

Folks, it's a winner. This one, Pigs Make Me Sneeze, is the latest one we've checked out from the library. Little Boy thinks it's hilarious. Some are funnier than others, but the series has two other elements I really like:

1) They're Easy Readers (or whatever those books are called). I usually think Easy Readers are boring, like "I am really tall; I like to play ball!" I just made that up, but you know what I mean. These ones use the same small, beginner words, but the stories are more fun. And that's partly because...

2) The stories are all done in speech bubbles--no other text. That adds to the interest for the little reader, and it makes the stories pretty easy to follow. Little Boy didn't really "get" speech bubbles for a long time, so these books wouldn't have worked for him then. But they're at the top of his Awesome List now.

So if you have kids at home that understand how speech bubbles work, and especially if you've got a little tyke that's learning to read, I really recommend these.

Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
Written by Mo Willems
Age range*: 3-6
My rating: 5 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.

Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...