Monday, February 25, 2013

Green

Green isn't a story book, exactly--it's a collection of shades of green. I checked it out from the library because I've had a hard time finding good St. Patrick's Day stories, so I figured I'd cast a wider net this year and pick up some books about the color green, rainbows, that kind of thing.

Little did I know how awesome this book would be.

Each two-page spread features a different kind of green--jungle green, lime green, faded green, and so on, with beautifully painted illustrations. Each spread has little die-cut shapes in it, and what you see through the shapes on one page becomes something totally different on the next page. For example, the "forest green" page has two cut-out leaves on it. Turn the page, and the same cut-outs become two little brown fish on the "sea green" page.

It's fascinating. The Boy and I have been through this book several times, just in the last couple of days. I recommend it for preschool- and elementary-age kids, parents, and teachers.

Green
Written and illustrated by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Age range*: 2-7
My rating: 5 stars [out of five]

*Age ranges are very flexible.


Full disclosure: I don't receive any compensation for reviewing children's books--the books are usually just checked out from the local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...